January 28, 2010

Mexico in January

I had the steaks, I had the tortillas.

When I told my husband what we were having for dinner he looked at me quizzically and said, "is there cheese involved?" Ahhh, sometimes men are so damn easy to please - a little meat, a little cheese that's all it takes. So yes, there is cheese, but the star of the show is the Tomatillo Salsa Fresca. If you've never worked with or even bought a tomatillo please run out to remedy that! They are wonderful little treasures and taste like a lemony tomato. Choose one much in the same way you would a tomato. You want a ripe yet firm tomatillo, too soft and they're mealy in texture, too firm and their citrusy flavor borders on bitter.

I served this with beans and rice, but really, they're quite filling all on their own. This will serve two to three people nicely.


Soft Steak Tacos with Tomatillo Salsa Fresca

For Salsa:
4 large tomatillos, diced (if you can't find them, 4 small to medium tomatoes would work as well)
2 small firm yet ripe avocados, diced
1/2 medium white onion, diced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 tbs hot sauce (I really love Crystal brand hot sauce from Louisiana)
1 tbs white vinegar
1 large lime, juiced
1 tbs kosher salt (if using normal table salt, then 1 tsp)

-Combine everything in a bowl - NOT METAL! The metal will oxidize the avocados and make everything sort of gray. This is one of those things that is fully customizable. Want it spicier, add more hot sauce. If you like more cilantro or more lime, have at it.
-Set aside

For Tacos:
8 thin sandwich steaks, sliced
2 packages of Sazon (a hispanic seasoning that you can find at the grocery store)
1 tbs of oil for cooking (more if you need it)
6-8 flour tortillas
Queso blanco (a crumbly white Mexican cheese, any brand will do)

-Cook tortillas directly on the oven burner, flipping it with tongs when one side has browned. If you have an electric stove stop, you can heat them in an oven or toaster oven. Set aside
-Heat oil in pan
-Sprinkle the steak with the sazon seasoning and mix together well
-Sear quickly in batches

Put all the parts on the table and let people build their own taco. Meat, salsa and cheese... it really doesn't get much tastier than that!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Duchess. I am positively salivating. I can almost taste those lovely tomatillos - and the lime - and the cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore tomatillo sauce...my sister in law's mother, who is Mexican, sometimes makes a huge container of it just for me and I am in heaven. Love it! I would put it on everything.

    ReplyDelete